Located at the mouth of the Essequibo River, the island bears an imprint of the Dutch in the form of two important structures – the Court of Policy and Fort Zeelandia. Take a walk through the Court of Policy, which was built in 1752, and learn more about this time in Guyana. This is the oldest non-military structure in Guyana and has donned many hats as a store, a church, court, and now a well-curated museum. A short walk away from here is Fort Zeelandia, an 18th century brick fort, which was one of the very first buildings constructed in the country. Though the fort is relatively small, it was vital as a defensive fortification.